New to Typophile? Accounts are free, and easy to set up.
I came accross backslanted text in a few plates from Jan van den Velde's Spieghel der Schrijfkonste and came to wonder what it stood for.
In the examples I found the text seems to be introducing something else but I can be wrong.
Any help, references or other examples would be much appreciated!
At long last, this book is available on pre-order at Amazon and Barnes and Noble at a sweet discount until it is actually in the bookstores.
Engraving workshop this Friday. This is a breezy overview of what is contemporary, commercial "engraving".
Friday, March 18 @ 6:00pm
Loyola University New Orleans
Media Room 1
(This workshop was also recently given at)
Tuesday, March 1 @ 5:00pm
Southeastern Louisiana University)
Each workshop will include:
• what is engraving and why do we love it.
• historic specimens of weird and fantastic engraving.
• contemporary applications for engraving.
• how to prepare art for engraving, and the various kinds of "engraving".
• how to engrave...
• ...or, how to work with an engraver (so you just have to design and leave the engraving to somebody else.)
“Engraving: Letterpress’s Shy Sister”
The American Printing History Association
35th Annual Conference
Corcoran College of Art + Design
Corcoran Gallery of Art, 500 Seventeenth St. NW
(This presentation was first given at ATypeI in Dublin, September, 2010, http://www.atypi.org/03_Dublin/40_timetables/main/main12sept_html?date=2...)