Hello everyone,

I am trying to find the name/terminology for the highlighted part of the
letterform P in the jpg down bellow. could anybody help? thank you very much.

Is there a reference that explains italic/oblique letterforms in a similar way to Karen Cheng's Designing Type? I'm looking for a book that at least shows axial stresses, relative proportions, and some width measurements to compare. Haven't had any luck in finding even something close to this, and feel like it'd be really helpful. (hopefully the information isn't in some out of print volume…)

It seems that the term 'Humanist' in typography is used solely to describe a certain type of sans serif. But is this really a reference to the renaissance Humanist scribe hands? If so why is the term not used for serifed typefaces that are directly related to this humanist hand?
Does anyone know when the history of when term was first 'coined' in regards to sans serif. Was it just an attempt to categorise, or maybe a commercial reason, to set a typeface design as different from the rest by giving it an saleable tag, one that gave it a mystique, esteem or historical cogitation.
Humanism also has many non-typographic meanings. What does this tag imply to you as designers?


The combined structure and style of a letter or glyph, its physical form. Basic Latin letterforms consist of the letters a to z, and A to Z, and the Arabic/Indian numerals 0 (zero) to 9. Letterform is analogous to letter structure.

Letterforms are represented by sub-types. For example, capital Latin A letterform is a triangular structure mirrored by its gothic counterpart letterform, the straight-sided loop top A. In roman types, the triangular lowercase v letterform has an alternate cursive v letterform. Each is treated as a ditinct letter form or structure.

Syndicate content Syndicate content