Hey there!

Quick question. I've searched the web (and this forum) for hours now but I just can't find what I'm looking for.
I need the basic formgroups blackletter type consists of (the more variations the better).

Now that I think about it, is there a guide out there that breaks up blackletter forms to it's very basic elements, does anybody know of some kind of guide?

I'd be happy if someone points at the right keyword to search for. my typographic english is basic/intermediate so I wouldn't be surprised if I missed something on google.


What more persuasive way to raise awareness of disabling genetic defects in purebred dogs than to employ a Hitler moustache and blackletter type?

Surely this shall convert doubters to the cause – then make them wonder where they can “download” that font.

And just when people had almost ceased to associate blackletter with fascism! Dang!

creamdonut's picture


Sometime ago, I saw a typeface designed by Elias Bitencourt, named Tex. I then went over to fontstruct and started designing a typeface that worked in similar ways to Tex. In a sense, it's very similar, with some gliphs, like the 'a' being almost copies from Tex. But it was a typeface I very much liked, and I though about designing one with the same principles, and following a basic set of rules.
The result so far is Godric.
I'd like some input on this, from you guys, which I regard as being the best way to learn, from commentaries from people that work with type constantly.

I haven't been able to track down this particular font, any ideas?

if you like modern and geometric fonts and blackletter as well, have a look at the typophile post »Fracmetrica Black .otf«

the free-font »Fracmetrica Black« is a modern and geometric blackletter with several opentype-features like ligatures, case-sensitives, text figures.
It's kind of condensed and has a high contrast. The typeface's construction is based on an isometric 60°-grid.

Greetings type enthusiasts. On a recent trip to Europe I was browsing the newsstands and came across these two lovely typefaces. I thought they were great. I'd like to buy them/download them if possible for my own uses and I was hoping someone out there could help me identify them. Much thanks in advance.

This new typeface Aeronaut is like Blackletter meets Steampunk. Can't readily think of a use for this, but that won't stop me from admiring it.

Ragged r

Indices : Terminology : Ragged r (r rotunda)

from John Smiths Printer’s Grammar, London 1755

Blackletter consists of as many sorts as a common font of Roman; ſave that the first has two different r's, one of which is called ragged r, and is particulary used after letters that round off behind, whether they be capitals, or lowercase sorts. Thus thes are properly put after the following capitals, viz. B, D, G, D, P, V, W; and after these lowercase letters, viz. b, d, h, o, p and w.

Syndicate content Syndicate content