Tuscan Stencil (untitled so far)

antiphrasis's picture

Hi,

I've started digitizing my own version of Victorian Stencil, and here's the few glyphs that I've created so far. Am I going in the right direction? Should I follow in this path? I will be posting updates when I get further in the design, so this is kind of a preliminary post. Thanks!

The old sample it is based on:


Characters so far:


Sample text:

hrant's picture

Like I mentioned in that other thread, I think it would be great if the stencil gaps had some decoration to them, instead of being just plain shears. You have a little bit of that in the "E" and "F" - and that's the minimum I would do to all the gaps.

hhp

antiphrasis's picture

Thanks Hrant and Stephen. I will definately start experimenting with new kinds of stencil gaps. I should have a new update ready in a couple of days. I'm determined to follow this project through. Thank you for your support!

raph's picture

I think you're doing a fine job here, and it definitely has potential to be better than the original.

There's only one characteristic of the original that I don't see you capturing (I have the Solotype book): the pips on the rounds (C and O) pull the curve out a bit, while on your version they seem to just be thorns on the stalk (as is the case for the pips on the sides of straights in the original).

antiphrasis's picture

Ralph,

Thanks for the help! It took a little while to figure out what the pips are. But you're definately right! I did use modified thorns from the 'I' on the 'O' and 'C'. I will try to use the curve to pull out the pips, instead of having my curve with added thorns. Thanks!

P.S. I checked out your website. I didn't know that you were an inventor. That's pretty amazing.

P.P.S. My hundreth post. Hooray for me! :-)

ric's picture

Nice work, Lauri! I can't think of anything else to add to the above comments.

antiphrasis's picture

Ricardo,

Thank you for the encourement! I'm still battling with the stencil gaps, I've experimented with some shapes, but I haven't found any that I like yet. I'm not sure how I will handle the stroke width variation yet. If you look at the 'A' and 'N' in the original sample there's is some variation. I will probably see what the glyphs looks like with uniform stroke, and then vary it it make letters less "heavy". For example 'W' would look pretty solid if all the legs were the same width as the 'I'.

Thanks!

ric's picture

Yes, I see what you mean. The original A is also a bit top-heavy, and that big black triangle in the place where the crossbar should be makes it look heavier still, IMHO. :-D

Please post new samples when you have some more!

Stephen Coles's picture

Hrant is right on. Take a cue from the thorns and splays.

Syndicate content Syndicate content