A mysterious padding at the bottom of the font

burak2102's picture

Hello Guys, after spending several hours I decided to get some help here. As you can see from the screen shot, this font which I localized into Turkish has a mysterious padding from the bottom. I couldnt achieve in adjusting it after playing with the font info settings. Anyone have a solution is needed. Best regards.

burak2102's picture

Sorry. Image dropped. Here it is:
http://cl.ly/image/453w3G3j1508

Karl Stange's picture

Sorry, it is not clear from your screenshot exactly what you mean, could you provide more information or show with an example of text generated with the font?

burak2102's picture

I hope this time it is clear.
http://cl.ly/image/3z1J1z2T1V2S

Karl Stange's picture

Can you show an example in the glyph window?

burak2102's picture

Thanks for helping Karl, here it is: http://cl.ly/image/0V0z0X0W223U

Karl Stange's picture

What you are seeing is the result of how the Fonts Window displays glyphs. That the glyphs have apparently been moved up in this display will most likely be the result of how the metrics are set up, specifically the ascender and descender measurements relative to the overall size of the glyph.

From your screenshot the descender is currently set to -300 and the glyph itself seems to reach a height of 1000, which in a font with a UPM of 1000 would be 300 more than the standard ascender height (which should equal 1000). As the ascender height is not visible in the glyph window this would indicate that it might be even higher than 1000, which could distort things further. Inconsistent metrics may cause problems when using the font in some applications, as such you could look at compensating for this by reducing the size of the glyphs and correcting the metrics relative to the UPM or you could expand the UPM and then check the relative metrics.

Karsten Luecke's guide to font metrics (this may trigger an automatic download depending on your browser) is a very useful guide for understanding this.

If you can provide screenshots of the following windows for the font I might be able to suggest relevant adjustments:

Font Info>Metrics and Dimensions
Font Info>Metrics and Dimensions>Key Dimensions
Font Info>Metrics and Dimensions>TrueType-specific metrics

burak2102's picture

Your help was very important. Thank you Karl. I now managed to fix the space. I share them even if you have a further suggestion for me.

http://cl.ly/image/0k2p0F231P21
http://cl.ly/image/1L3f310a0E0I
http://cl.ly/image/3o0f471A0m2s

Karl Stange's picture

Based on the metrics information in your screen grabs I would recommend rationalising the metrics either to the existing 1000 UPM setting or moving to a 2000/2048 UPM setting in line with generating a Windows TrueType or OpenType-TrueType font. It looks like the Key Dimensions are based on a TrueType metrics set-up which may mean that you have FontLab set-up to convert fonts to 1000 UPM when they are opened (Preferences>Opening OpenType & TrueType - "Scale the font to 1000 UPM" tick box).

I would recommend updating the metrics overall before generating the final font as you may encounter problems with some applications otherwise.

Karl Stange's picture

Looking at the current settings it looks like the computer key shape was aligned to the x-height of the font (1004). With that in mind you could consider amending the metrics as below:

Font Info > Metrics and Dimensions
Change the UPM size to 2000.

Font Info > Metrics and Dimensions > Key Dimensions
Change the fields as follows:
Ascender: 1800
Descender: -200
Caps height: 1708 (unchanged)
x height: 1004 (unchanged)

Font Info > Metrics and Dimensions > TrueType-specific metrics
Change the fields as follows:
TypoAscender: 1800
TypoDescender: -200
TypeLineGap: 0
WinAscent: 1800
WinDescent: -200

Ascender: 1800
Descender: -200
LineGap: 0

This is just a suggestion but this would optimise your metrics if you are generating a TrueType font. If you would prefer to generate an OpenType Postscript font with a 1000 UPM set-up you could try the following:

Font Info > Metrics and Dimensions
Leave the font's UPM size as 1000.

Font Info > Metrics and Dimensions > Key Dimensions
Change the fields as follows:
Ascender: 1000
Descender: 0
Caps height: 800
x height: 500

Font Info > Metrics and Dimensions > TrueType-specific metrics
Change the fields as follows:
TypoAscender: 1000
TypoDescender: 0
TypeLineGap: 200
WinAscent: 1100
WinDescent: -100

Ascender: 1100
Descender: -100
LineGap: 0

These settings will satisfy FontLab's requirements and hopefully satisfy most applications that require standardised metrics settings, though others may have better suggestions.

burak2102's picture

I now implemented these settings. And the everything looks perfect. Thank you Karl and thank you typophile.com.

Karl Stange's picture

Glad it has worked out for you!

Syndicate content Syndicate content