What are these things called?

Amado's picture

Hi all,

What term have I seen used here to refer to what kinds of top-serifs are on these letters /b/d/h/k/l/ ?

For a bonus, please list any fonts you know of (not pictured here) that use 'em.


paullawrence's picture

Here is a nice reference to typeface anatomy, but may not help you here. http://www.typeforge.net/blog/2012/06/22/illustrated-typeface-anatomy-te...

I have seen such serifs refered to as obtuse serifs I believe. These at near 45 degree angles on lower case characters are common in "old style" serif fonts. So if you search for old style fonts you should be able to find what you are looking for. e.g. http://www.myfonts.com/search/old+style/fonts/ There are a few with the double serifs like your example in the results

hrant's picture

They're head-serifs, simply angled more than usual. They have an old-fashioned/Jenson vibe. See Schwartz's Houston Chronicle face* for a modern-day application.

* http://www.christianschwartz.com/houston.shtml


Nick Shinn's picture

These derive from Jenson, so you will find them in varying degrees in Jenson revivals, such as my Goodchild.
Double-sided ascender serifs are rare; notably in Koch Antiqua, from which I appropriated the idea for Oneleigh.

Amado's picture

So, angled double-sided obtuse ascender head serifs?

That's a mouthful.

Paul, thanks. Hrant, I've seen Houston and MT Italian Old Style; their ascender head-serifs aren't double-sided. Nick, I'll say it again: your Goodchild is beautiful.

hrant's picture

OK, "sombreros" for short.


riccard0's picture

I would rather call them “toque” ;-)

eliason's picture

I dunno, I think "beret" is still closer.

Amado's picture


Nick Shinn's picture

Jenson, c.1470:

oldnick's picture

I do not know what they are called in other places, but I am told—on good authority—that they are called Lord High Serifs...

…at least in Nottingham.

Syndicate content Syndicate content