G Anatomy Quandry - no spur - no throat

gusnicklos's picture

Hey guys,

I am trying to write about this part of the attached G image and am wondering if there is a specific name for this instance of the G's anatomy. Any ideas would be helpful.



G_anatomy.jpg111.66 KB
Nick Shinn's picture

Vertical stem.
(Unless the face is rectilinear.)

Mark Simonson's picture

I think I've seen it called a "beard".

riccard0's picture

I thought it was a beard only if it reached the baseline.

hrant's picture

I think "beard" is for the part that projects at the baseline (if it's there). Like I would say that the /G in Optima has no beard, while Cheltenham's is quite hirsute!

I'm tempted to make up a new term (like "jaw") but otherwise I'd go with "stem".


John Hudson's picture

In type, 'beard' traditionally refers to the piece of the metal face below the baseline, usually corresponding to the descender depth.

I'd probably call this a vertical stub, or simply short vertical stem.

hrant's picture

I think in metal "beard" (also called "neck") means the slope between the face and the shoulder.


Ryan Maelhorn's picture

But where is the G Spot?

gusnicklos's picture

Thanks guys!

Syndicate content Syndicate content