ips typographus

Ehague's picture

Anyone know where this species name for the European spruce bark beetle comes from?

riccard0's picture

No idea, but inquiring minds want to know!

ahyangyi's picture

The only thing I can find about this:


riccard0's picture

So it looks like that

It is for the paths resembling the typographical matrix that the beetle is called "typographer".

Joshua Langman's picture

"Typographical matrix"? As in, the distribution mechanism on a Linotype?

Theunis de Jong's picture

I guess its larvae can actually be called "bookworms" :D

Té Rowan's picture

At least, then, they're not the rather infamous .303 bookworm.

Syndicate content Syndicate content