Term for newspaper heading / logo

Joshua Langman's picture

Hi, typophiles! I usually use the term masthead to refer to the large logo at the top of a front page of a newspaper; I've recently found that masthead actually means something different (list of staff), and that I should be using the term "heading." This seems like a rather broad term, though. Is there a specific term for this section at the top of the front page with the logo, tagline, date, etc?



Reed Reibstein's picture

Nameplate is best, though logo or flag work, too (via Jim Parkinson's essay in Contemporary Newspaper Design.)

Joshua Langman's picture

Thank you!

George Thomas's picture

Actually the word "masthead" applies to both.

According to Webster, the first definition is nautical; the second definition applies to newspapers/newsletters, with sub-definitions of a & b, with b being defined as the newspaper name at the top of the front page. It further mentions that the front page masthead is also called "nameplate".

I've always used the word "masthead" to indicate the logo on the front page, but either use is correct.

I agree that "nameplate" is best in order to avoid confusing people.

Syndicate content Syndicate content