need a word with f + adieresis

charles ellertson's picture

For an example. Something not profane, vulgar or obscene -- going in a book. I bet Swedish has some. As I remember, f + umlauted vowels was the reason Carter made a Swedish version of C&C Galliard.

Igor Freiberger's picture

This thread may be useful.

Bendy's picture

This website allows you to search for particular strings in words. A real gem, thanks to Craig Eliason, I'm going to keep referring to it. One example given: the Finnish word for 'biosphere' is 'biosfääri' with two adieresis-es.

Frode Bo Helland's picture

I've worked with a printer called Fälth & Hässler. Just lc that and you're on your way!

Florian Hardwig's picture

A few German words:

fähig [able, capable]
fällig [due]
fällen, gefällt [to fell, felled]
fälschen, gefälscht [to falsify, falsified]
färben, gefärbt [to color, colored]

There are a lot more. The most common one might be ‘gefällt’ – as in ‘Gefällt mir’ (‘Like’ on Facebook).

kentlew's picture

Charles, you might also find the German Affäre of interest — ff-lig (which, if I’m not mistaken, is actually permissable in this case) + ä.

Michel Boyer's picture

In Swedish, biosfär (biosphere) might suit your need.

charles ellertson's picture

Thanks guys.

eliason's picture

thanks to Craig Eliason

To give credit where it's due, James Puckett was the first to link to it from Typophile.

dezcom's picture

A veritable treasure-trove of f-ing umlauts!;-)
Thanks to everyone!

Syndicate content Syndicate content