1960's Instrument Panel Typeface

casatron's picture

Hello, this is my first time crowdsourcing the Typophile community for help with ID'ing a font, so I hope you can help me.

The type I'm looking for was used on a lot of instrument panels in the 1950's and 1960's, (please see photo for reference). It has a very antiseptic, technical quality to it, similar to OCR B (although I know that's not the one.)

If you can hunt this one down or other typefaces that have the same feel, I would be most appreciative.

Birdseeding's picture

Fascinating request - I was just about to ask the same thing! I was in a hospital emergency room last night (don't worry, nothing that serious) and I saw the exact same etched typeface, with the distinctive /G/ and the clean style. Doubt it's been digitized or even existed outside whatever signmaking machine produced these, but learning their history would be very interesting.

oldnick's picture

Most likely done with a Leroy Lettering Machine; a reasonable facsimile thereof resides here...


eliason's picture

Bryant Condensed from Process Type Foundry is pretty similar.

casatron's picture

Yep, Planscribe is pretty close and works perfectly. Bryant Condensed is also nice. Thanks a bunch!

Té Rowan's picture

For future reference:

Engineering Plot by David Kovalchik

Syndicate content Syndicate content