Glyph names for the "case" feature

Rob Mientjes's picture

Hi crowd,

I've been designing a few caps features for one of my text typefaces. Think of the Van Krimpen hyphen, and of course height-adjusted parens, middots, endash and emdash (with hopes of making cap-specific tabular numerals too — one day!). Question is, how do I go about naming them? hyphen.alt is too vague and might clash at some point. hyphen.caps? I was looking for examples, but after ten minutes in the Adobe specification site, I threw in the towel. Is there a convention?

Edited title to reflect proper nomenclature; post left intact to keep the thread sensible.

Jens Kutilek's picture

Hi Rob,

there is no feature calles »caps«, I suppose you mean »case«? There is not really a convention, but it is convenient to use the feature tag as glyph name suffix, e.g.

Rob Mientjes's picture

Ah, my bad, you're right. I have it called “case” in the feature file, but forgot to use my brain while typing this post. sounds reasonable and not vulnerable to confusion, so I'm going with that.

Syndicate content Syndicate content