Uppercase Y

AWood's picture

I'm looking for a typeface that has an uppercase Y with no descender. I would really like to find one that has a serif or a slab serif. I've attached an example of the kind of Y I'm referring to.

Any help is much appreciated!

Nick Shinn's picture

You could repurpose the Cyrillic "U" : search for Cyrillic fonts at MyFonts and look in the character charts to see what catches your fancy. For instance:

eliason's picture

Huxley Vertical is a sans that has it.

eliason's picture

If the curl isn't required, there are a fair number of serif fonts like Astaire that would qualify.

Stephen Coles's picture

I think you're looking for a 2-stroke uppercase 'y' rather than a 3-stroke. Yes?

RTF Cotillion

AWood's picture

Whoops, I should've been more specific - I'm looking for a Y that runs vertically down the right side, like the one in the image. Huxley Vertical is closer to what I'm looking for, but I need something heavier.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Stephen Coles's picture

A serif like this may not exist. Your best bet is to hire a type designer or lettering artist to create something for you.

AWood's picture

Thanks for all the help. One last question: is there a name for the type of Y that I am looking for? (One that runs vertically down the right side, and doesn't cross the baseline.)

Nick Shinn's picture

You might find one in a square unicase, if such a beast exists in serifed form.


I don't believe there is a name for what you seek: why not invent one?

I would suggest: "Parallel-sided, miniscule-style, lining capital Y"

dezcom's picture

How about this one?
It is one of the alternate "Y" from my Dez Squeeze series.

riccard0's picture

You could shorten the one in Jeanne Moderno…

Robert Trogman's picture

Try Social Gothic from Canada Type

AWood's picture

Unicase is the way to go - thanks for all the great suggestions!

I love Social Gothic and I like this one too:



Syndicate content Syndicate content