New to Typophile? Accounts are free, and easy to set up.
August 17-22, 2010
Century Plaza Hyatt Regency, Los Angeles
The Society of Typographic Aficionados (SOTA) is now accepting programming proposals for its twelfth annual conference. TypeCon2010 will be held August 17-22, in Los Angeles. We are partnering with many local and international organizations in presenting TypeCon2010, and look forward to offering a variety of affordable programming designed for type makers and type users from all walks of life.
We are currently reviewing proposals for contemporary and historical presentations and panel discussions, focused hands-on workshops in both the digital and non-digital realms, and a variety of programming for the Type and Design Education Forum and other special events.
Topics at TypeCon cover a broad range of interests, including typography, type design, font production, graphic design, new media, printing history, calligraphy and hand lettering, the book arts, advertising, type in motion, literacy, type sales and marketing, legal issues, type and design education, and other related areas.
Standard programming formats are as follows:
Main Conference Program
Friday-Sunday, August 20-22
- Full-length Presentations: 40 minutes, including time for audience Q&A
- Type in 20 Presentations: 20 minutes, including time for audience Q&A (if any)
- Panel Discussions: a minimum of 3 panelists that represent a range of experience and expertise in a given topic. An experienced moderator is required for all panels - programming committee will choose a moderator at its discretion if an appropriate candidate does not emerge. A moderator may also serve as a panelist where appropriate. Panel discussions range from 45-75 minutes, depending on the topic.
Wednesday-Thursday, August 18-19
Workshops should give attendees and opportunity to "get their hands dirty" and expand their creative and/or technological horizons
- Full-day workshop: 7 hours (with break for lunch at midday)
- Half-day workshop: 3.5 hours (no break)
Type and Design Education Forum
Thursday, August 19
- Typographic Assignments
15-minute presentations of effective and stimulating typographic assignments that make use of and generate a passion for type. Topics may include, but are not limited, to the following:
- Basic skill sets/foundations of type/typography
- Basic lettering/letterform design
- Type history/typographic history
- Experimentation with type
- Interactive/new media
- Creative and innovative teaching methodologies
- Ice Breakers
15-minute presentations that demonstrate creative ways to get students hooked on typography
- Education Forum Workshops
One-and-a-half to two-hour experiential workshops devoted to exploring one type-related class exercise or project
- FiveSpot: The Student Sessions
Full and part-time students of typography, type design, and related fields are invited to present their work. The FiveSpot method is: 15 slides, 20 seconds each (with simultaneous oral narration).
Tours and Special Events
Tuesday-Sunday, August 17-22
All ideas are welcome that showcase typography and design in Los Angeles and the surrounding region
You may submit multiple proposals.
In order to consider your proposal, we will need the following:
- you must specify the type of programming spot you are seeking
- presentation/panel/workshop/tour/other event title
- a concise one-paragraph description of your topic (up to 100 words)
- complete supporting materials for review - visuals, theses, articles, abstracts - the more details you provide, the better
- your biography edited for publicity (100 words maximum)
- your CV/resume/long form bio with areas of interest/specialization
- speaking references (if you have not previously presented at TypeCon)
- a statement about why you wish to participate in TypeCon2010
- a print quality headshot in TIFF or JPEG format - must be a minimum of 300 dpi at 2 inches wide
- any other material that supports your proposal
Please use PDF, RTF, or ASCII files for text. Compress all files in a single ZIP archive labeled with your name and the type of program spot you are seeking (example: TC10_Main_LastNameFirstName). If your ZIP archive is larger than 20 mbs, please send a link for downloading instead of transmitting through email.
Email proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 10, 2010. The programming committee will review all proposals for possible inclusion in the conference schedule.