How to add "shaded" 3D effect to type

dirtcastle's picture

^^ like this!

I seem to remember being able to generate this effect in Photoshop CS3's Filter menu, under "3D".

But how can I do this in CS4??

"3D" now has it's own menu in CS4 and I can't find the old -- admitedly crappy -- 3D functionality.

How can I do this with Photoshop CS4?

Do I need a plugin?

Do I need to "extend" CS4?

paragraph's picture

How about cloning the word, giving it a black fill and moving it (say) 2mm to the right and 3 mm down, then sending it to the back and finally, giving the front one a white fill with a black stroke of (say) 1pt?

Bendy's picture

Wouldn't that make a drop shadow rather than an extrude effect?

jonathanhughes's picture

You could use the 3D Extrude and Bevel filter in Illustrator.

paragraph's picture

You're right Bendy, you'd have to fix the corners :(

Bendy's picture

I've never seen a simple way to do this in Photoshop (I jumped from CS2 to CS4) but you can do in Illustrator like Jonathan said.

dirtcastle's picture

Thanks, people.

Well, my good old CS3 had the 3D "Bevel & Extrude" function in the Filter menu. But it got dropped in CS4.

I am definitely looking for a quick one-shot way to do this. I guess Illustrator is the way to go. :-( What is sad is that it is still just the same old crappy tool, but now I gotta go back and forth to get it right.

I did find an Electric Rain "Swift 3D" plugin that will do this -- and I'm sure it is a vast improvement over the old Adobe 3D Filter. But Swift 3D is $150 and... well, I've got Illustrator... so I guess I just have to regress my method. Oh well.

Syndicate content Syndicate content