Nomenclature for Typographic systems

richard_a's picture

In comparison, to lets say Arabic typography, or Japanese typography what do you think is a more appropriate name for typographical systems of the western scripts ?

Do we call it Latin typography ? Western typographical systems ? Typography of English letters etc.?

I am stumped because I cannot find one word which encompass the typography of Latin based scripts.

Your kind comments are solicited.

type.nasos's picture

Robert Bringhurst in the elements of typographic style
refers styles for Latin Typography.
Western is a keyword that is used for calligraphy most likely

ben_archer's picture

Hi Richard

Yes, Latin typography is it. As distinct from non-Latin typography (which is usually in the job title of someone consulting on typography for asian or arabic languages – Matthew Carter for example).

Syndicate content Syndicate content