New to Typophile? Accounts are free, and easy to set up.
Motivated by the honorable commitment on the part of MyFonts to remove fonts in their library that are plagiarized from other designs*, I would like to propose launching a concerted effort to purge MyFonts of such typefaces. I feel that this would be a great cultural service, as well as provide indirect financial support to scrupulous font designers in the long term. As such, foundries registered with MyFonts would be the main participants of this effort, although of course any qualified person should consider it.
Needless to say this should absolutely not become a witch-hunt, and we need to remain realistic. MyFonts is the referee, whose final decision cannot be contested; and we cannot use this opportunity to try to remove fonts simply because we think they're not well-made. Our only role would be to amplify the ability of MyFonts do its house-cleaning, to make it even better than it already is.
The question is, how do we organize such a "committee"?
My suggestion would be to:
1) Compile a list of willing volunteers, using this thread.
2) Implement an intelligent but fair mechanism of excluding saboteurs from volunteering.
3) Get a list from MyFonts of the alphabetic distribution of font quantities.
4) Assign the workload alphabetically to the volunteers.
5) Give the volunteers plenty of time (but still have some sort of deadline).
6) Require that the volunteers submit work-in-progress to the committee.
In the end, the committee would hand over a list
of fonts to MyFonts, and then promptly disband.
Please let me know what you think, and if you'd like to volunteer.