use of expression "sparkle"

jjdewtt's picture

I thought I'd ask the experts here for any insight that you might have into the use of the expression "sparkle" as it relates to typography. I have seen this word used both do describe both typography and letterpress. Can you help me to better understand its meaning in either or both of these areas?

Thanks so much.


typerror's picture

A peer of mine from England used this term about ten years ago to denote a sterling piece of calligraphic/typographic work. Something beautiful, stunning, above the everyday work.

Now when I hear the word I think of this picture of Jan Tschichold.

I am sure he is thinking... "Now that's brilliant!"


eliason's picture

Here's a very old thread that talks about "dazzle" - I would think that would be synonymous or at least similar.

Syndicate content Syndicate content