HELP! What are frames called on inner cover of old books?

heavenlychoirs's picture


I was just wondering if anyone knows what this is called - a frame such as a baroque or rococo frame found on inner covers of old books which encloses the title - a frame around the title. Does anyone know what the technical word for these pesky things is as I'd like to find some examples on the internet. Many thanks.

dsgoen's picture

Also look up "Printers Ornaments," as that is what constituted many of these types of frames.

Ricardo Cordoba's picture

W.A. Dwiggins called them "border designs" or just "borders" in a 1927 essay on the structure of the book (quoted by Ruari McLean in The Thames and Hudson Manual of Typography -- page 149 in my edition).

heavenlychoirs's picture

Hey! Yipee! That is the name 'ornament'. Many thanks for your replies I will take a look.

heavenlychoirs's picture

Wow Gus, love the links. Beautiful maximilianus.

Syndicate content Syndicate content