Looking for Type Wallpaper

refusenik's picture

No, not desktop wallpaper – "real" paper-on-walls-kinda-wallpaper.

We'll be doing some re-decorating soon and I'd love to adorn one of the hallway walls (a slender and curving beauty, I might add) with some type-based wallpaper. Big letters, small letters, the odd number and diacritic, a few, handpicked punctuation marks, you get the picture. Alas, I haven't found any yet. Any ideas where I might find such a thing?

maxgraphic's picture

Ray Fenwick did some wallpaper designs, but I think only one was printed, and that one's not typographic.

(You can buy) http://www.nakedandangry.com/pattern/2661/Old_Timey_Tiley
(You unfortunately can't buy) http://www.nakedandangry.com/pattern/2962/Re_SpamPoetry

refusenik's picture

Thanks maxgraphic, that's a decent start. It really is difficult to find, especially because you basically can't google for it, because of desktop wallpaper usurping the name.

If all else fails I suppose I can always either print my own or break out the scanner, project & trace type onto standard wallpaper. Another idea might be something from Stefan Sagmeister's book: Mask off areas of sheets of wallpaper with type, then leave in the sun to fade, finally peel off the mask. Oh well, the search goes on, I appreciate the help.

Sye's picture

if you can't find any have you thought of doing a montage of magazine/poster/other printed material? i like the thought of have all these random letters and words covering everything... it's an idea.... once placed on the wall you could cover it with a clear varnish-type thing to preserve the paper...

it's an idea...

another is to just make the wallpaper yourself and get it large-format printed... like a billboard....

cheers - sye :)

Sye's picture

also you may want to take a look at this type wallpaper as used in the food court of melbourne central in melbourne australia.



refusenik's picture

Thanks Simon. The way my search is going I'll have to make my own. Of course, this might turn out to be a blessing in disguise…

AndrewSipe's picture

These aren't text pattern wallcoverings, but they might be a good start to finding something that's more along what you're looking for.


You might even want to peruse your local wallpaper distributor, and look for styles under Scripts and Signage.

AndrewSipe's picture

My sister is an interior designer and passed this onto me:

Maharam: www.maharam.com – go to “virtual library” and select the first book that says “Wallcovering – Vinyl” and flip through to the second page. It’s called “Alphabet 397710” and you can view the colors on the bottom right corner.

Knoll: www.knoll.com (textiles) http://www.knoll.com/products/textileproduct.jsp?prod_id=1034 it’s not readable, but it’s still text.

dtw's picture

Hmm, the Knoll one: a "rich textural field" ... or a "rich textual field"?

The Maharam one: isn't that the design shown in Simon Robertson's photo?

Sye's picture

it sure looks like it! cool!

refusenik's picture

Just managed to re-check this thread and wow… thanks everybody! Fantastic finds! I really like the Maharam paper. If it's not too expensive to ship and buy I think I'll go for it in beige and white, it would be perfect.

Once again: Thanks to all typophiles, I knew you could be relied upon for this "problem". :-)

Ricardo Cordoba's picture

This just in from Veer. Not technically wallpaper, but still interesting:


Syndicate content Syndicate content