Anatomy of a Character

richard_a's picture

In the anatomy of a character,

What is the curve ( curved serif ) at the
foot/ bottom / baseline called ?

Jos Buivenga's picture

That serif is called a cupped serif. How the curve itself is called I don't know.

Sebastian Nagel's picture

In german, this is called "Kehlung", which my dictionary translate as "hollow moulding (architecture)" (which might not be a good translation).

Ulrike Borinski's picture

Hans Rudolf Bosshard calls it »konkave Basis« may be »concave base«.
In the same book »Technische Grundlagen zur Satzherstellung«, Kehlung ist the Position above from serife to stem.

Sebastian Nagel's picture

:) Danke. Man lernt nie aus...

Syndicate content Syndicate content