(x) British Forces Broadcasting Service logo - ITC Stone Sans {Yves}

AtomicGarden's picture


This is the logo of the British Forces Broadcasting Service in Germany and around the world. I have the feeling, that the original typeface might have been changed, somehow squeezed (width ?) ?

However - I'm not certain about the name of the font being used - does anyone have a clue?


Picture 2.png67.88 KB
Bald Condensed's picture

Stretched ITC Stone Sans. I don't think I like the logo nor the font, but that's besides the point.

AtomicGarden's picture

yeah, it's extremely stretched...

thanks a lot,


Stefan H's picture

Yeah, steretched towards ugliness for sure!

ben_archer's picture

Hey! Shouldn't that be 'squooshed™'?!

Bald Condensed's picture

Nope, squooshed is the exact opposite of stretched -- it creates a condensed face, not an extended one. I know the TypoWiki says it applies to both, but I don't agree.

Grot Esqué's picture

Can you tell if it’s been squooshed vertically or stretched horizontally?

Bald Condensed's picture

Nope, it creates exactly the same effect. That's why I want a distinction between the condensed and the extended end result, otherwise you simply don't know what you're talking about.

Richard Hards's picture

Personally, I'm quite fond of the term "reverse squoosh™"

ben_archer's picture

Fair cop guys; I agree with the need to distinguish between these heinous crimes of glyph distortion. I will use the sq... term with more diligence in future.

Stephen Coles's picture

Aww, c'mon Baldy. We don't need two terms for the same problem.

Miss Tiffany's picture

Just so you know, as I'm the one being blamed for the word, I would consider squooshed to cover squashing and squishing of letterforms.

Syndicate content Syndicate content