PHD or PhD

sean's picture

Let us just say...

You are setting a name in all small caps...and the name is:


Or is it



The typeface is Adobe Caslon Semibold Small Caps.

Bringhurst. 3.2.2 and 3.2.3 are the best support I can come up with for PHD.

Am I wrong?


steve_p's picture

How about


???????? ;-)

sean's picture

That certainly has a nice ring to it . But that is not it...

Nick Shinn's picture

1) make the H 10% smaller, 105% width (to compensate for lost weight)

2) Use Filosofia (it has 2 sizes of "small" cap)

2) Fake the "small small cap", by using an H from a heavier weight, and reducing it in size.

William Berkson's picture

Must you set the name in small caps? Bringhurst's idea of the name in normal text and PHD in small caps is I think much the best solution. If you have italic small caps in the font, that would be a possibility for PHD, or Tiffany's suggestion - but these are less good, I think.

William Berkson, PhD

sean's picture

Thank you for your help.

I should have posted this before. This is how I was doing it.

What do you think? Right or wrong?

sean's picture

Are you saying that I'm short and squat?

By no means! I would never be so bold. ; )


Miss Tiffany's picture

I would say if you are using smallcaps that you set it PhD, having the h as a smallcap.

Miss Tiffany's picture

If the style you've chosen is smallcaps, I would use all caps. It looks too small, in comparison, set in all smallcaps (phd I mean).

If Homer had a Doctorate

Miss Tiffany's picture

Also. I agree wholeheartedly with Nick's suggestions.

Miss Tiffany's picture

Hmm. Okay. If you are using all smallcaps, then yes, I would do as you have done. I missed the part about you using all smallcaps.

Miss Tiffany's picture

I would probably set the comma a point or so smaller.

Are you saying that I'm short and squat? Hehe. ;^)

Syndicate content Syndicate content