New to Typophile? Accounts are free, and easy to set up.
This is another puzzling font problem. I am trying to find the following, without success:
An OpenType version of Futura, or a typeface similar to Futura, that includes small caps, text figures (and possibly 3/4 height numerals), alternate characters as originally designed by Renner, and an italic/oblique.
• DTL Nobel and FB Nobel are only available as PS, and do not include the SC/OsF.
• FF Drescher Grotesk has OpenType, but I don't see any SC/OsF.
• FF Super Grotesk is great, but no OpenType.
• EF Futura Pro (via Veer) has everything, but there's no italic/oblique available(?)
• URW Futura Pro (from Monotype, because the URW site is unusable) seems to have it all, except for some inexplicable reason the Small Caps are sold as a separate OpenType font.
Am I missing something, or is there a huge, gaping hole in the 100,000+ font galaxy?
Please suggest some alternatives if you can think of any. I am going for the simplistic, engineered, geometric look of the normal weight and width of Futura, evocative of an unassuming, utilitarian time -- not the Big 80's 'Just Do It' crap, or Cingularesque Avenir look-alikes. If there is something slightly more exotic, á la Nobel or Super Grotesk, that would be even better.