A question about script

lemieuxster's picture

Question: What are those fancy scribbles at the end of peoples signatures, or sometimes script type called?

I have looked everywhere possible and I haven't been able to find an answer. I feel like I should know what they are called and even though I am no novice to design I am at a loss. Ultimate brain fart of the century. Feel free to point your finger and laugh.


Dav's picture

'Swash', or 'Swashy Endings', maybe.? :)

Dav, formlos

Stephen Coles's picture

...or flourish.

lemieuxster's picture

yeah, thanks. It was so obvious too.

they both seem to be right. swash; flourish - étendre.


dezcom's picture

Isn't Swash when it is part of a cap letterform and Flourish when it is something added besides the glyph?


Stephen Coles's picture

Perhaps those were their original definitions, Chris. Lately I see them all used interchangeably and I'm not really opposed to it.

crossgrove's picture

Moxon states,

"Rightly indicated, the extravagant extenders and tails on capital letters shall, by every good man of taste and discernment, be known as Those Deely Things."

dezcom's picture

"I see them all used interchangeably and I’m not really opposed to it."

It is kind of like the the current use of the word "Logo" which is no-longer a word mark or even an acronym but any and all "Deely Things" used as identifiers for businesses or entities.

I guess we are all trying to be "good men of taste and discernment," :-)


Miss Tiffany's picture

I'd say flourish. But I'm a mean old dogmatic broad.

dezcom's picture

"I’d say flourish. But I’m a mean old dogmatic broad."

Somehow that still sounds better than “good men of taste and discernment,” :-)


Nick Shinn's picture

>I guess we are all trying to be “good men of taste and discernment,” :-)

Yup, momma don' low no deely-bobbin' roun' heah.

dezcom's picture

But we don't care whut momma don' 'low, we gonna deely-bobbin inny how :-)


Syndicate content Syndicate content