Mergenthaler Linotype

Indices : Foundries : Mergenthaler Linotype

See Linotype.

The Mergenthaler Linotype Co. was founded by Ottmar Mergenthaler in 1890, Brooklyn, NY. He moved the production of his Linotype Machine—the "Blower"—there from its first factory in Baltimore.

Over then next century, Linotype would manufacture a series of hot metal, photo, and digital typesetting machines. Their library of typefaces for these machines (and later for personal computers), would reach the thousands.

The Mergenthaler Linotype Co. grew quickly, creating international subsidiaries and forging partnerships the world over. Linotype & Machinery, Ltd. was founded in England, also in 1890. In 1896, The Mergenthaler Casting Machines company opened shop in Germany. D. Stempel AG, Hass, and many others began producing Linotype matrices for their clients. Eventually, they would become part of the Linotype organization itself.

The American Mergenthaler Linotype Co. remained the mother company at the center of the global Linotype entity until the 1980s. Thereafter, its assets were purchased by German interests, who formed Linotype AG in 1987.

Mergenthaler Linotype developed a slew of typefaces that are now part of the present-day Linotype's digital collection: Ionic, Excelsior, Bell Gothic, Metro, Electra, Caledonia, and many more. Designers who have worked for Mergenthaler Linotype include David Berlow, Matthew Carter, William Addison Dwiggins, Chauncey H. Griffith, and Rudolf Ruzicka.

Syndicate content