"European" 1 Figure.

A. S. Britton's picture

Any thoughts on what I call, for lack of a better term, a "European" figure 1 (the one with a more obvious top arm)? How appropriate is it? Should it become the standard, as opposed to this -> 1? Any advice, technical or otherwise, on the design of this version?

Miss Tiffany's picture

Scott, are you designing something and need this or are you just wondering about the technical name? As far as I know, it is part of the means by which they learn to write the figure 1. I know my Italian cousins all use it.

hrant's picture

It's probable that the "European '1'" can have a larger head because/when the "7" has a crossbar.

In terms of type design, the larger head certainly helps when the font is monospaced.


Syndicate content Syndicate content