What are these Called?

Gator4101's picture

So I really would like to know what those special glyphs inside of Bello's glyph-set are called? So for example the glyphs that say "the" or "and" or "the end" etc.

I know these are part of a glyph set but I'm wondering is there any particular terminology for these types of glyphs? If so what are they called?

Also, does anyone know of any good typefaces that have these as part of their glyph set? Or any typefaces that are simply word based as opposed to letter based?


Frode Bo Helland's picture

Catchwords or logotypes.

Gator4101's picture

Okay, not exactly what I was looking for. I'm wondering what these are called and if any other typefaces have them, and if so which ones?


Nick Shinn's picture

Catchwords or logotypes.
These are the names you’re looking for.
IIRC some John Downer fonts have a few of them.

Maxim Zhukov's picture

According to the Glossary of Typesetting Terms (by Richard Eckersley, Richard Angstadt, Charles M. Ellertson, Richard Hendel, Naomi B. Pascal, Anita Walker Scott. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1994), these are called logotypes:

Not many [display] fonts have them. Of the more recent designs Now Playing (by James Montalbano; Terminal Design) comes to mind first. Its font complement includes the logotypes AND, AT, AVEC, CON, THE, and WITH.

riccard0's picture

Some suggestions, and links to other threads, here: http://typophile.com/node/69311

Gator4101's picture

Wow thank you all for all of the great replies. This is exactly what I was looking for and it was a great learning experience as well.

I always new the word "logotype" in the more traditional form as in "a logo that is completely derived from type". Thanks for enlightening me on the proper terminology.

hrant's picture

Concerning another meaning of "logotype" see my first post here:


Syndicate content Syndicate content