Searching for a free hand script typographer

P_P's picture

I'm looking for someone experienced in creating "free hand" typography. I ran across a french guy online a couple of years ago but unfortunately I can't remember his name. But if you have any tips I'd be most thankful.



hrant's picture

It might help if you called it by its proper term: lettering.

You will find plenty of talented people.


P_P's picture

Thank you hhp. What is the title of someone working with lettering?

quadibloc's picture

What Hrant is referring to is a calligrapher, someone who uses a pen to produce fine quality documents.

The term letterer usually refers to someone who fills in the word balloons in a comic.

Unlike Hrant, though, I was not sure from your original post that you were, in fact, looking for a calligrapher. I thought that it was also possible you were looking for a typographer who used script typefaces to create an effect similar to calligraphy.

hrant's picture

Actually to me "letterer" generally means somebody who renders letters –but not fonts– in any way; could be a logo, could be window signage... And I wasn't sure (and still am not :-) that P_P is looking for a calligrapher.


Mark Simonson's picture

Also: Lettering Artist

Joshua Langman's picture

As far as my normal usage of the terms goes:

Calligraphers write letters.

(Hand) Letterers draw letters (in the context of a specific piece of text).

Type designers draw letters (to be reproduced in many texts).

P_P's picture

Thank you all for clarifying.

Andreas Stötzner's picture

Now that has been settled I dare to throw my hat in the ring.
See example

Syndicate content Syndicate content