New to Typophile? Accounts are free, and easy to set up.
New release by G-Type: Precious Sans Two.
G-Type’s first new font release of 2014 is actually a major reworking of an old one, Precious Sans, which originally appeared back in 2002. The new family is called Precious Sans Two, available from www.g-type.com with a 50% discount until the end of January, then with 25% off the standard price until Feb 28th 2014.
Over a decade after it’s first appearance G-Type’s Nick Cooke decided the time was right to re-appraise the typeface, scrutinise the old letterforms and make some important enhancements.
Make no mistake though, Precious Sans Two is no rudimentary re-release; nearly every character has been redrawn, re-proportioned, respaced and generally improved.
The original Precious Sans was well received at the time but certain quirkier characteristics, the extended lower case ‘f’ for instance, or the binocular ‘g’, were perhaps too prominent and a little distracting. Short terminals on the ‘a’ and ‘s’ also made the first Precious incarnation less appealing when used as body text. Second time around the major overhaul has not only addressed the shortcomings of the original but made huge improvements right across the board:
• enhanced legibility and suitability for text use
• more streamlined range of 6 weights; Thin to Black plus matching italics
• cross platform compatible OpenType OTF format
• proportional and tabular figures
• extended language support
• small caps, accented small caps & related case sensitive forms
• extra stylistic set containing the original quirkier I, f & g alternate glyphs
• extensive suite of discretionary ligatures
• 20 directional single and double arrows in each of the six weights
Precious Sans Two is a crisp and distinctively modern typeface, well equipped for advanced typographic use in print, web and digital publishing environments.