Type Anatomy Term

sevag's picture

Is there a special term for that part of the letter /u/ on the right(circled) compared to the one on left.

I'm also looking for the earliest examples of fonts with this kind of design at that part of the letter /u/. How old could the practice of designing the letter /u/ or /n/ with this specific style be or it has been there since the beginning of sans-serifs?

oldnick's picture

I am not certain there is such a term, but I would like to suggest “nick”…

Nick Shinn's picture

That sounds about right.

John Hudson's picture

The original question is unclear. Does it refer to the white space (yes, nick is a good word for this) or to the stem section (what I would call, in both letters, a spur)? Hence I would describe the one on the right as a nicked spur.

sevag's picture

Nicked Spur it is, thank you gentlemen.

.00's picture

A spur is a tiny serif that implies an entry into the stroke with some sort of engraving tool.

I think you should call it a "sevag".

grubstreet's picture

Isn't "nick" the little indentation of an actual movable type?

Major Major's picture

If we're talking about the black bit, I'd suggest "heel".

dberlow's picture

Neck nick heel on the left, and neck nick spur on the right. There are also slabs, spurred slabs, wiggie and wiggie waggie tails in this spot as well as rarely seen monk chin and an occasional lark spur.

Syndicate content Syndicate content