History of horizontally stretched typefaces

mogaro's picture

I'm interested in anyone's opinions on when horizontally elongated letter forms first first started appearing. I'm not talking about fat faces with wide verticals like 'Blackoak', but forms in the same area as the P in the Pirelli logo.

I've noticed a few faces of late on things like Ralph Lauren polos, F2 racing branding, and a private aircraft maker - Icon A5.

So is this a very recent style?

It seems to be useful for high performance cutting edge technology - prototype cars, planes and sailing.


oldnick's picture

It's nothing new: this typeface dates from 1867...


Syndicate content Syndicate content