(x) Type terminology question - flourishes, ornaments {Mark S}

muffinmanbrander's picture

WELL,opps....ok well I'm new to Typophile. Now that that is over I want to know what the little decorative swirls and floral that are put around letters. I couldnt figure out how to post a picture so I hope everyone understands what I mean. Are they a form of font. Theyre usually on or around elegant words. If anyone gets what I'm talking about, could you help me, I just have a great interest in learning how to do them well.

dan's picture

Daliance by Emigre is a good font to look at. Lots of font enhancements

Mark Simonson's picture

Flourishes? Swashes? Engrossing?

muffinmanbrander's picture

Flourishes maybe, swashes no, engrossing no. Ok not the stuff that attaches to the type but the decorations around it.sorta like this i just did an ugly quick one, Stuff like that ^^^^.

Mark Simonson's picture

Ornament? Ornamentation? Filigree?

(I'm putting question marks after all my suggestions because I'm not exactly sure what the proper name for this is, whether there is one, or if I understand precisely what you are referring to. Still, one of them might fit.)

muffinmanbrander's picture

I apologize, I'm searching each example, thanks for everyhting.

timd's picture

Fleuron would answer some of the question
http://www.myfonts.com/search?search%5Btext%5D=fleurons, generally I would refer to these marks as ornaments.

Syndicate content Syndicate content