"Monarch" Paper Term History

jimsbee's picture

Does anyone know the history behind the term "Monarch" as it relates to paper dimension. Who coined the term? Does it have any relation to royalty?


oldnick's picture

Traditional British paper sizes used a lot of royal terms, and I suspect that the name “Monarch” is an attempt to Anglicize a size which, in the colonies, is called “Executive.”

Personally, I like the traditional size name “Foolscap”…

5star's picture

foolscap (n.)
literally "fool's cap; cap worn by jesters," 1630s; c.1700 as a type of paper, so called because this type of paper originally was watermarked with a court jester's cap.



Syndicate content Syndicate content